Week 1: Photographic Composition

WOW.  This week was so busy, yet somehow I found time to experiment with photographic composition.  But, before I get into the photos, there’re a few things I’d like point out about my this project entry and those to come:

1. The photos I’ll be featuring each week will be posted to my Flickr sets. This week, look to my first set to see the compositions I’ve created.
  2. I’ve also started a “Trial & Error” set to demonstrate some of my “failed” photos. (Although Ira Glass is an audio storyteller, I feel his words of advice (e.g. “failure is a big part of success”) can be just as applicable to photography.)  Heck, there’s no way the 186 pictures I took this week were all good!
  3. I’ve decided it’ll be most effective to comment on specific photos through Flickr descriptions, so be sure to view the “Detail” view of each set to read a more detailed commentary of my photographic journey!

Okay, now onto the good stuff!
To begin, there’re many approaches to explaining photographic composition, and this week I decided to followed Tom Ang’s guidelines.  I originally planned to combine advice from several sources, but Ang’s advice was the most coherent and seemed suitable for a week’s worth of work.  The following are examples of some of the photographic compositions I attempted this week.

Diagonal VIDiagonals “lead the eye” to a particular point the frame and, according to Ang, more effectively impart “energy” into an image than horizontal lines can convey.

Pattern II

Symmetrical compositions are good for simplifying complicated images, but the photographer must avoid creating symmetrical images that appear too “contrived.”

Pattern III

Patterns “interact with the rectangle of the picture frame” and can be geometrical or irregular.

Framing I

Framing (e.g. a “frame within a frame”) can “concentrate the viewer’s attention on the subject” and even suggest a photo’s geographic setting.

Radial I

Radial compositions create a sense of liveliness in photos, “even if subjects are static.”

Other examples of photographic composition listed by Ang include overlapping and triangles.

Reflection

While I primarily captured photos according to Tom Ang’s advice, I’d like to share other photographer’s thoughts on composition:

“All you need to know: Composition is the elimination of all unnecessary elements” —Paul Comon

“Although there are plenty of rules that can help guide your compositions, it is important to realize that there is more than one way of framing up a perfect shot” —John Hedgecoe

I think the combination of Comon’s general rule and Hedgecoe’s general advice nicely summarizes what I learned this week.  There are no hard and fast rules to creating a “good” composition, but there are tried and true guidelines (such as Ang’s) that help point you toward photographic success.  That being said, some of my first Daily Shoot images cannot be simply categorized as symmetrical, radial, etc. (e.g. the ceramic squirrel or the bamboo), but I don’t think it necessarily diminished their effectiveness.

Something I found helpful in assessing a composition was comparing the coloured version of an image to its black and white counterpart. When I was sorting through my pictures, sometimes I would remove the colour to see what the B&W version looked like.  I found this approach was particularly helpful when reviewing the photo of radial tree roots.

Radial I

In sum, I’d say week 1 was successful, but it also made me realize just HOW MUCH there is to photography.  Radial symmetry was definitely the most challenging compositional form to find, whereas diagonals were everywhere once I started looking for them!

PS: I have a new theme!  As much as I loved my old stepping stone header, I think the plain layout does a better job of emphasizing my pictures. I’ve also added two new pages to track my Daily Shoot and Digital Story entries.

9 Comments

1. Wow! It’s really interesting to read about your photography. I also really enjoy looking at your pictures and how you discuss each picture and the effects. I love the symmtry of the house. I look forward to keeping up with your project 🙂

2. My personal favorite is the tree trunk– all of these are really engaging, though. Way to keep going with the photography thing– I tend to get on kicks and then forget about it for a while– so that you are able to maintain it and bring in constructive techniques and inform us all of them. Can’t wait to keep following this!

3. Tiffany, I would’ve never thought of the creepiness about the door, but you’re right! Actually, the town where I live had its streets lowered in the 1800s, and so many houses downtown have their original front doors bricked off. What I’ve photographed is now on the second story.

4. I did nothing during midterm week. Except midterms. Great job on finding time to take these pictures. My favorite is also the chain, I like the contrast between the leaves and the chain. I also really like the “patterns” picture. The house picture is good but kinda creepy to me. I think because you can tell where a door used to be and now it’s bricked over. I think it would look more creepy in B&W. Just the thought of being in a house with no doors. haha

5. I am also impressed you were able to do all of this within a week. My personal favorite is the chain, it does a great job of grabbing my eyes attention and following it through the picture.

6. Thanks! It was kind of a pain to upload all of the featured images displayed on my main blog page, but I like how the theme turned out. I have to give credit to Prof. Groom for helping me figure out how to use it! If you want to use it too, I can try to help you with it sometime in class.

7. I am completely IMPRESSED that you were able to do all of this, in a week, let alone midterms week!!! You created a lot of really great pictures,my favorite being the symmetrical house because I love the criss-crossed bricks on the house (which like you said probably would have been to complicated if done otherwise)! Also this is a really great resource which I think I definitely will use sometime in the upcoming weeks! Great Job!

8. 1) I love your pictures!! The tree one in particular is so interesting. I also really like the chain in the woods. And, the sky in the house one is just so darn blue and gorgeous! haha. I love capturing color well in pictures – always so pretty.

2) I tried to use this theme, but couldn’t figure out how to! haha. so props to you! =D